Saturday 19 September 2015

Pattern Weights

I've been pondering pattern weights for a while as I'm still not keen on using pins for pattern cutting, it just doesn't feel right to me.  I've researched a ton of options online, and was going to just buy some from eBay.  But then came across a blog that said about little fabric bags full of rice that can be used.

I got a set of quilting squares from eBay that were all Cath Kidston, so it'd match the other stuff in my sewing room.  It was a nice cheap little lot and had a nice amount of variety, saved me having to think what patterns I wanted.

When they arrived, I picked out the ones that I liked, and cut 24 of them into 3in by 3in squares.  And also cut half inch strips out of some of the bits that were left.  I then went about matching them up.  I wanted to have the ribbon, top fabric and bottom fabric to be different on each one.  I could've used ribbon for the handles, but didn't have anything in the right colour, so thought that strips of fabric with a sewn edge in a contrast colour would make a nice touch.

After sewing the edges of all my handle strips, I then sandwiched them in between the top and bottom bits of fabric, (right sides together) and the top side of the handle strip facing the right side of the bottom piece of fabric (see photo below).


I then sewed round the edges using only 1/4in seam allowance, and left an opening.  I also put little 'legs' on the seam to help with the turning out and sewing up the hole (a handy little tip that I found while blog trawling).

Then turned them inside out, making sure that the handle strip was on the top, and then filled with rice.  I found that 2 tablespoons of rice was about enough. Then carefully hand-stitched the opening closed.

I've not done any pattern cutting since making them, so will have to update this when I have to say how they go.  Hopefully they end up being a good little alternative to pins!

No comments:

Post a Comment