Friday 1 April 2016

The Making of Eddie Bear



As you know, I went to the Knitting and Stitching show at Kensington Olympia last month, and I gave myself a pretty tight budget, because it was inconveniently just before payday.  Sad times.  I came across a stall for a company called Amazing Craft, who sell teddy bear making kits (also rag doll making kits, and all related stuff).  Now, I’ve never really had an interest in making teddy bears, but they're pretty cute.  I mainly have ones that have sentimental value (ones that awesome people have bought for me, and usually have hilarious names like Bearemy Clarkson or Bunnydict Cucumberpatch), but I love the heirloom style bears, and never had one as a kid.

There was a minor incident at the Sew Over It stall where I managed to blow through the majority of my budget (post coming later on the Anderson Blouse that I bought), so when I got to the Amazing Craft stall, I was seriously lacking in funds.  But I made sure to take a card, so I could buy online later.

After the joy of payday, I decided to get a few kits to get me started.  I emailed and spoke to Becky and asked if she could put a few things together for me and do a deal.  Becky is an absolute sweetheart and said that she could sort out what I wanted and because I was spending quite a bit (two large kits and a medium kit), she arranged a bit of a discount for me.  Huzzah!  I went for two kits of the Eddie bear, one with safety eyes as I plan to make one for my friends baby (not to play with, more of an heirloom piece, but wanted to do the safety eyes just in case).  Becky was kind enough to suggest the best eyes to go with the bear that match the standard glass ones that come in the kit.  She also said that because the glass ones are put in at a later stage (after the head is complete) and the safety eyes are put in before the head is put together, its best to do the glass-eyed bear first, then I can use that one as a reference for the safety eyed bear later.

The parcel arrived very quickly and well packaged.  Firstly the kits themselves are beautiful.  You get some kits where they’re just in a white box, and that’s fine, but these really are gorgeous.  I’d be more than happy giving this as a gift.  And you get everything, barring scissors, a basic sewing needle, the standard thread and a pair of needle-nose pliers.  You get everything else that you’ll need, which for a first timer, is just great.  I hate when you buy a kit and you find that you need a ton of stuff that you didn’t have, then have to go venturing onto eBay and wait before stuff arrives before you can start.

The day that it arrived, I had a stinking cold, I had cancelled all my plans because I felt like crap and I didn’t want to infect my friends with the lurgy.  So I had a full weekend where I could sit in bed, watch TV and make a bear.  Silver lining to every cloud, right?  Seeing as I’ve never made a bear before (and it’s general practice for me anyway) to read the instructions first, all the way through, just to get my head round the process.  The only thing that I couldn’t visualise was the eye insertion process, but I remembered that Becky had told me that there was a video on the site explaining how to do it.  I had a watch and it cleared the whole thing up for me.  Superb!  Otherwise, the instructions are very clear and explain it very well.

It’s pretty standard process, cut out the pattern pieces, lay them out on the back of the mohair (following the pattern layout in the instructions), draw round using biro, etc.  I won’t go through the whole process, because the instructions are so good, you can just follow those.  They’ve worded it far better than I ever could!

I managed to get him finished in little over 2 days, and I have to warn you, it is incredibly addictive.  I can’t wait to start the next one, and have about a dozen more planned.  I actually took a heap of photos this time (better than I usually do) as the process is slower and I was able to take photos at decent intervals.  Please excuse the background, that is my duvet cover, and possibly the odd shot of my pyjama bottoms.  As I said, I was in bed with a cold, don’t judge me ;)

Considering that it’s the first time I’ve ever made something like this, and my hand sewing is pretty appalling, he came out really well.  And I think that’s down to the comprehensive kit and instructions.  They really are beautiful.








Becky has said that the Amazing Craft business is a pretty new one, so the website is still in its infancy, but if you want to ask questions or see if she has something that isn’t on the site, just send an email.  She’s one of the nicest people I’ve dealt with (although to be fair, us sewists usually are quite lovely!) and nothing is too much trouble for her.  They also have refill kits, that only include the fabric, cotter pins, eyes, etc. so you’re not buying the pattern and instructions all over again.  I asked if it would be possible to get a refill kit with a different colour mohair so I can make the same bear, but in a same colour, and Becky said it would be totally possible.  So please ask!

I love that these little businesses spring up and would much rather support them than go to some of the bigger places (I don’t need to name them).  So if you fancy giving this teddy bear (or rag doll) making malarkey a go, please give these kits a go.  You’ll get addicted, so don’t hold me responsible for you filling your houses with tiny homemade teddy bears, but it really is fun!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Crafty Tiger and so pleased you enjoyed making your Eddie. Looking forward to seeing your next creation!

    ReplyDelete