Saturday 23 January 2016

Sew Over It - 1940s Tea Dress


It seems like such a long time ago that I started all this and I was reviewing sewing magazines, but the one that I went with (Love Sewing) came with a kit from Sew Over It for a pink skirt.  I haven't finished the skirt yet as its not something I'd wear, so I don't really have much motivation for finishing it.  But I liked the concept and I liked the pattern and instructions.  I had a look at their website and spotted that they had a load of patterns that looked beautiful and what was really helpful is that they have their fabrics also categorised by what suits what patterns.  Makes it very easy.

So when I went to the sewing show at Alexander Palace, I spotted that they had a stall and had a look.  They had the 1940s tea dress pattern and some beautiful fabric that I loved (Amelia Petal).  Seeing as I was on a fabric buying high, I went for it.  Anyone that knows me knows that I have a thing for tea dresses.

I won't go through the process that I took as I just followed the instructions.  I didn't alter the pattern at all as I just wanted to get it done as is.  I still don't have my head around the whole pattern alteration thing, but I'll probably look at it one day, maybe.  But I did get to make my first self covered buttons.  That was interesting!!  But it really makes the dress I think.

It was all pretty straightforward, but I did notice some errors in the instructions when it came to the sleeve construction.  It was really very annoying, and I found that I was sewing, unpicking, sewing and unpicking.  I was pretty fed up and went searching for a blog that maybe covered it and would be able to clarify.  Luckily I found that Sew Over It did a sew along that was most helpful and the instructions were considerably better than in the booklet.  So if you plan to do this dress, definitely use the sew along instructions too http://sewoverit.co.uk/blog/sewalongs/1940s-tea-dress-sewalong/

I'm really pleased with the finished dress.  I think it looks really quite pretty and the fabric is beautiful. I'm also very pleased with the fit.  Considering the fact that I did no pattern alterations, it fits really quite well.  Despite the issues with the instructions in the booklet, I'll definitely give other Sew Over It patterns, they might just need a bit of patience.

And just a small mention of my new tattoo
that can be seen in the picture - yes that is
a Mexican Sugar Skull Lego head :D

No comments:

Post a Comment